Raiders Use Sturgeon Monopoly in 4-2 Over Wolves

by Romano Di Franco

The Nepean Raiders ended the month of October by welcoming the Renfrew Wolves to the Nepean Sportsplex Steve Yzerman Arena for their second game in eight days. Brady McEwen got the duties in net for Nepean while Viacheslav Gordeichuk was in goal for Renfrew.

The opening period of the game proved to be a goaltender’s duel, with both teams locked in a 0-0 tie. By the end of that first period the shots on net were nine a piece. The first goal of the game didn’t come until the second period when the Renfrew Wolves took advantage of a power play. Joshua Penney found the back of the net at 11:59, with assists credited to Jace Letourneau and Andrew Morton.

The Wolves extended their lead late in the second period at 17:46 when Jace Letourneau himself scored a goal, assisted by Andrew Morton and Dane Carter. The Wolves outshot the Raiders 11-9 at the end of that middle frame. Going into the third period, the Wolves held a 2-0 lead, but the game was far from over.

Curtiss Sturgeon of the Nepean Raiders took center stage in the final period, putting on a scoring clinic. He single-handedly turned the game around, scoring four unanswered goals. Sturgeon’s first goal of the period came at the 9:04 mark, assisted by John Lumsden and Owen Hardy. Just a few minutes later, at 13:10, Sturgeon struck again, this time with assists from Mario Scalise and Lleyton McLean. With the game on the line, Sturgeon continued to shine, netting his third goal at 16:18, assisted by Owen Hardy and Lleyton McLean. The final blow was dealt by Sturgeon at 18:07, sealing the win for the Nepean Raiders with an empty-net goal, assisted by Nolan DeFazio and Nick Houben.

The Wolves and the Raiders both had their share of penalties during the game, with each team spending time in the penalty box. However, it was Curtiss Sturgeon’s offensive prowess that stole the spotlight.  With his four goal performance, it’s not very surprising that Curtiss Sturgeon was named the first star of the game. It was the first four-goal performance by a Raider since Ryan MacLean netted four back on Friday, November 4, 2011 in a 9-1 win over the Gloucester Rangers (now the Rockland Nationals).

Owen Hardy of the Nepean Raiders was recognized as the second star of the game for his two crucial assists, while Jace Letourneau of the Renfrew Wolves earned the third star, contributing a goal and an assist.

The Nepean Raiders left the ice with a well-deserved 4-2 win over the Renfrew Wolves, creating a memorable moment for fans in attendance and showcasing the thrilling and unpredictable nature of the sport.

Their next game will be held on Thursday November 2nd when they will visit the Ed Lumely Arena to square off against the Cornwall Colts.